Uniting Through Music: Colombia’s Journey to Peace and Tourism Development

Cheap flights with cashback

From unexpected business ventures with former guerillas to music as a cultural lifeblood, four key players in Colombia’s adventure travel community share their stories about peace, music, and tourism and how the three intersect.

The theme of AdventureNEXT Latin America 2023 – Bogotá – “tourism as an instrument of peace” – provides a lens through which delegates can begin to understand the complex history and cultures of Colombia.

For years, the people of Colombia have worked to heal from the impacts of drug cartels and the long-standing armed conflict that caused significant social and economic disruption. Music has played a central role in this process, serving as a means of expressing hope, resilience, and cultural pride while promoting peace and reconciliation. 

Music is one of the most significant aspects of Colombian cultural identity, and the country’s vibrant and diverse musical scene is renowned throughout Latin America and around the world. A fusion of African, European, and Indigenous rhythms and styles, some of Colombia’s most well-known genres of music include Cumbia, Vallenato, Salsa, and Reggaeton. Popular artists such as Shakira, Carlos Vives, and Juanes have taken Colombian music to the global stage.

Ahead of gathering 25-27 June 2023 in Bogotá, the following leaders within Colombia’s adventure travel community offered to share more about their background, the rich cultural and adventure opportunities in Colombia, and how music has helped the country unify in recent decades. 

• Juliana Medina, Partner and CEO of Impulse Travel and emcee of AdventureNEXT Latin America 2023 – Bogotá
  • Carlos Ariel García, Co-founder and Director of Caguán Expeditions and the Red Comunitaria de Turismo Paz y Reconciliación
  • Andres Camilo Diaz Quevedo, ATTA Latin America Country Manager and the Strategic Director of the ATUCA Foundation in Colombia
  • Laura Durana Posada, National Director of the Colombian Association of Responsible Tourism (ACOTUR)
© Juliana Medina
Juliana Medina, Partner and CEO of Impulse Travel

How did you begin working in tourism and what is your current role? 

When I came back to Colombia after working as an au pair in Germany, to pay for my studies in finance I took advantage of my German language skills and became a tour guide in my hometown of Cartagena. When I started I thought it was just a student job, then I fell in love with the industry and discovered the power of travel to not only tell the story of a country but also to transform it.

Now I am the manager of Impulse Travel, so I am in charge of strategy, growth plans, team building, product design, and a little bit of everything. I am also part of the board of directors of ACOTUR (Colombian Society of Responsible Tourism) with which we support and work on the development of tourism in the country. I am also a financial advisor for small projects and I am part of several civic organizations.

Can you speak to what the theme “music as an instrument of peace” means to you?

When people come to Colombia they sometimes ask me how we are so happy in a country that has suffered so much, and for me the answer is music. We have more than 3,000 musical rhythms and music accompanies us in every moment of life and has been key in the reconstruction of our country. The war has taken a lot from us, but it has not taken away our desire to continue dancing. From dance and music, we are building a better future. At Impulse we have a trip called Sounds of Colombia, in which we visit traditional musicians in the villages and we learn their stories. I don’t know if it’s just me, but what I feel with a gaita, a marimba, or a drum is peace and joy.

The war has taken a lot from us, but it has not taken away our desire to continue dancing.

The decisions made by travelers and businesses are often impacted by negative stereotypes and questions of safety. How would you respond to those who claim Colombia is “not a safe destination”?

The only risk is that you want to stay. At Impulse last year we had 5,000 foreigners who traveled with us and absolutely everyone told us that they would come back. We are the perfect combination of climate, nature, and culture. In 2022, four million travelers visited Colombia and the trend is growing a lot, so the fame you mention doesn’t have much time left. 

My dream that I see closer every day is that Colombia becomes the benchmark destination for community tourism and nature in Latin America. I want the ATTA traveler to come – the traveler who is interested and cares about the place they visit.

© Carlos Ariel García
Carlos Ariel García, Co-founder and Director of Caguán Expeditions

At the time the peace agreement was signed in 2017, I was the delegate of the High Commissioner for Peace (a political office in the Executive Branch of Colombia) in the Miravalle sector (San Vicente del Caguan). One day I told the guys in the village – the former guerrillas – that we will go to the Pato River to see if it could be used for rafting tours. 

At that time, people were only focused on agricultural or fishing activities, but we did the tour and realized that the river had great potential. What I did not expect was that the ex-combatants told me that they would like to start the project together. So, I resigned from my job for the High Commissioner for Peace and dedicated myself to work with them, founding Caguán Expeditions and the project “Remando por la paz” (Rowing for Peace). That was my unexpected entry into the world of tourism, and now we are already six years into this project. We are transforming the territory, and eliminating the stigma about San Vicente del Caguán – a municipality that used to be a place of war is now a place for peace building.

Tourism is the possibility of human encounters, and when these possibilities appear, new worlds open up, leading us to find truths. It is the opportunity to reconcile ourselves with what we thought of others and of these territories, to put ourselves in the shoes of others, to listen to other narratives, to listen to the stories of those who have suffered and played a leading role in the armed conflict.

Colombia has been labeled by conflict, now we have the opportunity to show the other side through tourism. Tourism is an instrument that can work very well for this purpose because it provides an opportunity for people to express themselves in a quiet format through the opportunity to meet, listen to each other and recognize each other.

What I did not expect was that the ex-combatants told me that they would like to start the project together.

I say that Colombia has been characterized by a difficult reality related to violence and drug trafficking, but what the press shows is never going to be what a country represents. Colombia is a safe country, in many places tourism is already established. We know that Colombia is an unequal country and that generates insecurity, but that is a common condition in many countries.

The risk is not to come to Colombia… the risk is to be enchanted and fall in love with the richness of the country and the resilience of the people who are making tourism a reality.

© Andres Camilo Diaz Quevedo
Andres Camilo Diaz Quevedo, ATTA Latin America Country Manager

A few decades ago, Colombia was perhaps in one of the most difficult and complex moments of the armed conflict in the country, tourism was not promising. By that time all Colombians had suffered directly or indirectly the negative impacts of this armed conflict. In that context I began to study tourism, with the confidence that the tourism industry would have great potential for the future of the country.  After finishing my studies, I joined the team that implemented one of the most disruptive national tourism promotion strategies at the time, “the only risk is wanting to stay”. The campaign showed the world that Colombia was moving forward in terms of security and that we had a universe of opportunities to develop nature and adventure tourism activities.

That was 14 years ago, and since then I have had the opportunity to support tourism projects in locations affected by violence.  Today victims of the conflict, ex-combatants who have signed the peace agreement, and the communities trust in adventure tourism as an opportunity for all.

Currently I am part of the ATTA team in Latin America as Country Manager for Colombia, and I am also the Strategic Director of the ATUCA foundation in Colombia where we seek to contribute to the solution of environmental problems from a social approach. 

Creating an adventure tourism experience is like composing a good song: both must propose a rhythm that excites and connects, have a melody that consolidates the message you want to highlight, while connecting all the components to achieve harmony in the final piece. For both tourism and music, the muses of inspiration come from the same sources: culture and nature.

Music has a leading role in the daily life of Colombians, and it is an instrument that allows us to tell our stories. Adventure tourism combined with music could be a powerful tool to generate memorable experiences that contribute to the change of perception of the country.

What do you envision for the future of tourism, and specifically adventure travel, in Colombia?

Adventure tourism for Colombia is not only an economic activity, but also an ideal instrument to generate solutions that allow the conservation of ecosystems through the generation of opportunities for local communities. I believe that the role that adventure tourism has in Colombia is fundamental for peace, and for reconciliation among all actors and in the change of perception.

Adventure tourism throughout Latin America plays a decisive role. Every traveler who decides to visit and participate in adventure and nature tourism activities in our countries, every company that develops sustainable tourism products, every media publication about our tourism experiences, every training activity that is done with local communities…every individual or group effort will add to the construction of peace and the conservation of our natural and cultural heritage. 

© Laura Durana Posada
Laura Durana Posada, National Director of the Colombian Association of Responsible Tourism (ACOTUR)

I am the National Director of the Colombian Association of Responsible Tourism – ACOTUR, which represents nearly 200 inbound tourism companies in Colombia. I began working in tourism in 2004, traveling throughout Colombia with school students and leading outdoor education programs. In my current position, I focus on resource management, project monitoring, and standardizing sustainability standards and processes alongside entrepreneurs and their communities. I work with the Ministry of Commerce, Industry, and Tourism, and its affiliated entities such as ProColombia and FONTUR, and with different international cooperation agencies.

Colombia is a country of multiple cultures. The theme “music as an instrument of peace” allows us to share a message of inclusion and sustainability, to make cultures visible through music, to get closer to their traditions and preserve their legacy. Approaching the regions through the lens of music allows us to give opportunities that help us sow peace.

I imagine a resounding success – without a doubt we have everything to be the best hosts of the adventure in Colombia, we are growing more professional every day in our services, and continue to become more sustainable. Although we have challenges, every day we work more to diversify tourism and be an instrument of peace and generator of opportunities.

Responses have been lightly edited for clarity and length.

Source link

We will be happy to hear your thoughts